Thursday, February 17, 2011

Tastykakes

OK, they’re not from Buffalo, but Tastykakes always make me think of growing up in Buffalo. They hail from Philly and were like the local Hostess products (only way better). My grandparents’ families were from eastern Pennsylvania and many trips were taken to visit them in Nanticoke, outside of Wilkes-Barre. Whenever Nan and Pop would return from PA, suitcases of Tastykakes accompanied them for the ride to Buffalo. We got to the point where we put in “orders” in advance and froze them so they could be enjoyed year round. That is, if they even lasted enough to be frozen. I can’t remember a time when we didn’t have some kind of Tastykakes in the house. Lauren liked the chocolate Kandy Kakes. Mom liked the peanut butter ones, the unfilled cupcakes and the coffee cake juniors. Dad and I weren’t as selective; we ate them all.

There were years that went by when Tastykakes were not available where I shopped and since no one was traveling to PA anymore, Tastykake withdrawal set in. Within the last decade or so, I started seeing them in local stores. Maybe living fairly closer to Philly makes for easy distribution. Who cares? I can now get Tastykakes at not one but two local supermarket chains! Granted the selection is not the most extensive, but it’s nice to know that I can get a little taste of Buffalo-via-Philadelphia whenever my little heart (and stomach) desires.

No comments:

Post a Comment